Nonprofit and Faith-Based Organizations
McKennon Shelton & Henn has a long history of assisting nonprofit and faith-based organizations, foundations and professional associations with all of their legal needs -- from formation to ongoing governance issues. Our clients include churches of various denominations, health centers, charter schools and many other charitable organizations.
Our attorneys provide services ranging from drafting covenants and agreements between pastors and congregations to preparing purchase contracts and creating legal entities to operate schools and housing projects affiliated with faith-based organizations and nonprofit corporations. The firm is proactive in its approach to our representation of nonprofit clients. Attorneys routinely advise our nonprofit clients regarding best practices for governance including the development of internal policies and procedures and the most prudent ways to comply with the various requirements that must be met in order to maintain tax-exempt status.
The attorneys at MS&H take a team approach to providing advice, insight and guidance on a very wide range of legal and business matters, including:
- Corporate Governance and Duties of Governing Boards: including review and preparation of governing documents, board and committee resolutions, addressing qualifications, rights of members and maintenance of fiduciary duties.
- Policies, Procedures and Employment Matters: including conflict of interest, personnel, privacy, investment, grant making, fundraising regulations and child safety policies, as well as hiring, compensation, disciplinary actions, terminations and employment contracts.
- Financing and Corporate Planning: including review, negotiation and drafting of loan documents, asset acquisitions, real estate acquisitions, mergers, liquidations, dissolutions and review, negotiation and drafting of purchase contracts and leases.
The firm specializes in providing advice and guidance to all types of religious organizations. Our attorneys have the experience and sensitivity to handle:
- Organizational and ongoing corporate governance.
- Legal duties and liabilities of pastors, trustees, officers and volunteers.
- Pastoral counseling.
- Executive compensation and professional services contracts.
- Tax and regulatory compliance.
- Child safety policies and compliance.
- Employment matters.
- Real estate sales, acquisitions and leasing.
- First Amendment and other Constitutional law protections.
For more information about McKennon Shelton & Henn LLP or our attorneys,
please click the "Contact Us" button below and we will direct your inquiry to the
401 East Pratt Street, Suite 2600
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Phone (410) 843-3500
100 M Street, SE, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20003
Phone (202) 813-0670